[Skip to Content]
Dispatch Non-Emergency 325.657.4315

Press Release #021616(15)-Racing Incident leads to Serious Injuries, Property Damage

San Angelo Police are investigating a crash that resulted in serious injuries and over $20,000 in property damage after a street-racing incident near Angelo State University last night.
At approximately 7:40 p.m., San Angelo Police Officer D. Welch observed two vehicles racing west at a high rate of speed in the 2700 block of W. Avenue N. Officer Welch pursued the vehicles with lights and sirens but lost sight of one of the vehicles after it turned onto Colorado Avenue at a high rate of speed. Officer Welch continued his pursuit of the second vehicle, a gray 2015 Ford Mustang, until the vehicle's driver stopped at Sherwood Way and A & M Avenue. The driver was taken into custody and identified as 19-year-old Hayden R. Archer. Based on statements made by Archer, Archer was charged with Racing on a Highway and transported to the Tom Green County Jail.
A short time later, San Angelo Public Safety Communications received a report of a major motor vehicle crash with injuries at S. Campus Street and Colorado Avenue. Officers and San Angelo Fire Department Medics arrived and located the driver of a black 2005 Ford Mustang suffering from incapacitating injuries. The driver, later identified as 25-year-old Christopher Segura, was transported by ambulance to Shannon Medical Center where he underwent emergency surgery for multiple injuries, including several broken bones. It was later learned Segura was the driver of the second vehicle involved in the racing incident.
During the crash investigation, Investigators learned that after Segura disengaged from the street-race with Archer, he traveled eastbound on Colorado at a high rate of speed where he collided with a black 2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV located in the 2500 block. The force of the collision caused the 4Runner to flip on its side and collide with a maroon 2003 GMC Envoy SUV. The force of this secondary collision caused the Envoy to travel to the front yard of a residence approximately three houses away. Both the 4Runner and Envoy were parked and unoccupied at the time of the crash. It was also learned that prior to the initial crash, Segura nearly collided with the driver of a vehicle after he disregarded a yield sign at Campus Blvd. and Colorado.
Segura was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash and the extent of his injuries is unknown. Archer reportedly told Officers he was traveling about 80 miles per hour during the race. Charges against Segura are pending.