In 1962, President John F. Kennedy signed a proclamation which designated May 15th as Peace Officers Memorial Day and the week in which it falls as Police Week.
The San Angelo Police Department has a number of planned events to honor those that have paid the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty.
The following events are open to the public:
Monday, May 13:
- Flag Raising Ceremony, 10:00 a.m., Police Headquarters, 401 E. Beauregard.
- Police Monument Dedication Ceremony, 10:30 a.m., Police Headquarters, 401 E. Beauregard.
Wednesday, May 15:
- Coffee With a Cop, 9:00 – 11:00 a.m., Cactus Hotel, 36 E. Twohig.
- Running With The Blue 5K – 1 Mile Run/Walk, 6:30 p.m., Police Headquarters, 401 E. Beauregard. Registration: $20.00. FMI: Melanie Dickman 325-657-4333 http://getmeregistered.com/runningwiththeblue
Friday, May 17:
- Ecumenical Service, 11:00 a.m., First Presbyterian Church, 32 N. Irving.