The Crime Watch program is a community based program that's been proven to deter crime. Crime Watch is a group of neighbors working together along with law enforcement agencies and local organizations in a community-wide effort to reduce residential crime.
Getting to know your neighbors and becoming familiar with your neighbors' habits and vehicles allows you to know when something is suspicious or out of the ordinary.
Crime Watch does not mean being a vigilante. Participants do not confront suspects or take any personal risks at all!.
Getting Started: Call The Crime Prevention Office at 325-657-4332
- Form a small planning committee.
- Contact the Crime Prevention Specialist at the police substation in your area and ask that he/she come to the meeting to discuss your community's problems or needs.
- Select a Crime Watch coordinator and block captains who are responsible for organizing meetings and relaying information to members.
- Your Crime Prevention Specialist can help train members in home security and reporting skills and also provide information on local crime patterns. Recruit new members, keep up-to-date on new residents, and make special efforts to involve the elderly, working parents, and young people
How Can I Prevent Crime?
- Improve outdoor lighting.
- Keep your home's doors, garage and windows closed and locked at all times.
- Don't leave lawn equipment or toys outside or in an open garage.
- Remember that as many crimes occur during daylight hours as at night. Don't let your guard down during the day.